October 05, 2008

Gratitude

My parents left on Friday to attend General Conference for our church this weekend, so I spent the night at the rehab center with Christian, taking my mom's usual place. Christian and I had some good talks. While I was there, my parents were with Christian's kids in Utah, so they called and Christian was able to talk with the kids for the first time since the accident (all except little Ollie who was asleep). It was good medicine for Christian!

The next morning Christian had a physical therapy session, and then we watched the first session of conference together (well, half of it together... the other half I watched in the waiting room during his dressing change). Then after lunch he had more therapy and I needed to get home.

That night Jay and I attended the CopaBall benefit, along with several other members of my family, and Stephanie's brother and sister-in-law who drove down from Utah. Our table had been donated to the family in honor of Christian and Stephanie, and the new burn foundation fund set up on their behalf. It was a really nice event, and everyone was so kind. They also honored the late Dr. MacDonald Wood, the founder of what is now the Arizona Burn Center, with a life-time achievement award. It brought tears to my eyes, and does again now, as I think how grateful I am to this man, and all of those who work at the Arizona Burn Center. I love you guys!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:09 PM

    That is wonderful that he was able to talk to his children! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a strong, beautiful family. I loved hearing that Christian was able to speak with his children. What a tender moment for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I'm so happy he got to talk to the kids!!!

    Glad you go to go to the CopaBall benefit. It is humbling to think how much one life (like Dr. Wood's...like yours, like mine) can touch so many, isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:01 PM

    tell us more about the foundation set up in their name!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The fund is in the works... there will be a press announcement, and I will let you know.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.