December 14, 2006

Mary's Pledge


A couple of weeks ago, Mary was invited to lead the Pledge of Allegiance during the daily morning Flag Ceremony at school. (Our school is the best!) She was very pleased, and very prepared. She wore her new red shirt studded with fake rhinestones, and brown cordoroy pants, and asked me to do her hair in "two pony-tails with red ribbons, please." She topped it off with her pink fleece hoodie. (Find her in the photo below.) On a regular morning, I just let the kids out in the drop-off zone at the school, but today was special. So, after dropping them off, I made the effort to park the car, put on a jacket, get Jack out, walk through the parking lot pulling a reluctant toddler, cross the grassy quad, and plant myself as close to Mary's class as I could get. I even remembered to bring my camera. I watched her beaming as the teacher announced, "And now, the Pledge of Allegiance will be led by Mary D*****." But then she got serious as she placed her hand on her heart, and began. She looked directly into the the microphone, instead of up at the flag, but she said it perfectly. I couldn't help laughing to myself as her little 5-year-old voice cracked on the word "liberty." She finished, and looked at me, so serious and proud. And I was proud too.


Watch a video of Mary saying the Pledge of Allegiance... and hear her voice crack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.