March 12, 2007

What's for dinner?

When it's Sunday evening around 5:00, and I haven't planned anything for dinner, this is what my family gets.... German Pancakes, with compliments to Martha Stewart. My family loves them.


GERMAN PANCAKES
(I double this for my family)

2 T. butter, melted
5 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
2/3 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
3 eggs
3/4 c. milk

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Butter a 6-cup non-stick jumbo muffin tin; sprinkle with granulated sugar. In blender, combine dry ingredients. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Pour batter into muffin tin. Reduce heat to 400 degrees; bake until puffed up, about 15 minutes. Invert onto flat surface. Dust with powdered sugar and serve immediately.



These are even better with Buttermilk Syrup (with my compliments to my sister, Diane).

BUTTERMILK SYRUP

2 T. light corn syrup
3/4 c. (1.5 cubes) butter
1 1/2 c. sugar
3/4 c. buttermilk
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. vanilla

In a large pot, combine syrup, butter, sugar, and buttermilk. Bring to a boil; let boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in soda and vanilla. Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. yum! I can't wait to try these recipes. Here's my family's recipe for German Pancakes:
    6 eggs
    1 c milk
    1 c flour
    1/2 tsp salt
    5 tbls butter
    whip eggs until thick and lemon colored. add milk, flour, and salt. heat butter and put in bottom of pan. pour batter over butter and bake for 15-20 min in a 450 oven.

    They get all wavy and bubbley (sp?) your kids will think that's cool. Especially if they like eggs. I love 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:00 PM

    Alice, The German Pancake is my go-to recipe as well. We have them at least once a week! My recipe is almost exactly like Jennifer's. Did you know Kent Dana made German Pancakes for Governor Janet on TV several months ago (maybe it was years)? I serve them with fresh-squeezed lemon juice and powdered sugar. Mmmm good! Or syrup is a favorite too. I think I will try them in individual ramekins or muffin tin servings, thanks to your idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am definitely going to try that!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.