February 24, 2007

A "PG" post on a "G-Rated" blog

As a wedding gift from family members, Jay and I received a very nice set of Calphalon hard-anodized cookware. I love it, and it is still going strong 10 years later. It has served us well... and in some unexpected ways. Every piece has been put to good use, but the stock pot has seen a little more action than its siblings.

About once a year, my kids get the usual gastrointestinal ailment that all kids do.... about 24 hours worth. It's starts with one child waking me in the middle of the night (they walk all the way around to the far side of the bedroom to my side of the bed, instead of to Daddy, who is nearest the door.... hmm... I wonder why?) saying they have a stomach ache. While I am trying to wake up fully, the child begins coughing in that tell-tale way (which does the trick of bringing me fully to my senses), and we make a mad dash for the toilet. We usually only make it to the sink, but that's better than on the floor.... or their bed, or my bed, or me.

Afterward, I gently lead him or her back to bed for another tuck-in, and retreat to the kitchen where I retrieve what is affectionately known as "The Pot." It will serve them well for subsequent occurrences of...... well, you know.


It's perfect. It's tall/deep, which means the kids can stick their head down in it, and thus avoid the "splatter" effect, which mom appreciates. And its nice flat, stable surface makes it unlikely to tip over, which mom really likes.

My children have all had their turn snuggling with the "The Pot." They dread it, and yet they are grateful for it in their time of need. Now the kids just come into our room in the middle of the night and say "I need The Pot." And if anyone complains of a tummy ache at bedtime, they will have "The Pot" placed next to their head before they go to sleep.

You may be asking yourself, "Do they still use this pot for traditional purposes?" Well, if you are coming to our house for a pasta dinner, the answer is.... uh.... of course not!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.