February 11, 2007

Sméagol / Gollum

Jack hangs around with me all morning, usually playing in my room while I get ready. The other day he walked in while I was doing my hair. He asked, "What are you doing mommy?" I replied, "I'm getting ready to go." I don't remember if we were going anywhere in particular (we would be going somewhere eventually), but that was the simplest answer. After a short pause, Jack had another question, "Are you going to town?" Huh? Does he think we live in the "country?"

On another day while he was hanging out in my room while I was getting ready, I noticed him trying with all his might to reach something behind my nightstand. He finally called out in frustration, so I went to see what he was up to. "Mommy, I can't reach the ring." I looked and saw a faded plastic ring lurking behind my nightstand. I had no idea where it came from, but Jack sure wanted it. I pulled it out and gave it him. He was utterly delighted! His face lit up and he put it on, petting it on his hand and saying, "My ring! My ring!"
It was a little disturbing, but I chuckled, as I imagined him saying, "My precious!" Later, when we arrived home after picking up Mary from school, I was helping Jack out of the car. He took off the ring and chucked it. I was surprised and asked, "Jack, don't you want your ring anymore?" He scowled and said, "No! It doesn't have powers."

That was pretty creepy.

P.S. No, he has NOT seen "Lord of the Rings."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.