June 24, 2008

Don't Bother

Since I am an unabashed fan of Jane Austen, I am always eager to read any book that has anything to do with her. And so I picked up this book from the library without knowing anything about it. At the time, I didn't even know it had been made into a movie.

[I find that a great many mediocre books are made into mediocre movies. Since Jane Austen has a lot of fans, publishers and movie produces are probably just as eager as I am when they hear that name.]

Generally, I like to read books that have been recommended to me by someone I know and trust. I need to remember that in the future. I didn't really like this book... thank goodness it was short, so not much of a commitment.

I just couldn't relate to or sympathize with any of the characters. Their stories were all interesting enough, but I just didn't find any of them likable. Oh well. Besides that, there were too many gratuitous uses of the "F" word. Just plain stupid.

I don't think I will bother renting the movie.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alice,
    I didn't like this book either. Have you read "Mr. Darcy's Daughters"? I think it's one of the better adaptations. And thanks for the reccomendation, I'm really enjoying "The Lost Memoires of Jane Austen".

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.