February 11, 2009

12 x 9 =

Jack, who can't wait to turn 5 in a few days, picked up a stack of multiplication flash cards that were sitting on the table and decided to quiz me. He was taking it very seriously (he has seen me do this with Collin) so I played along. It has been a long time since I've been in that position (usually I'm the one doing the quizzing), and I was feeling the pressure. :)

The funny thing is that I had to think about some of them for a second (besides, I was unloading the dishwasher at the same time), and I was trying really hard to make sure I got every answer correct, even though I could have given any random answer and Jack would have had no idea.

Whew. I'm really glad I'm done with school.

4 comments:

  1. Multiplication still makes me nervous. I don't know why. Even when I'm just trying to do it in my head, and no one else is waiting for the answer, I start and stumble and have to use my fingers. Addition and subtraction are so easy, I can shout out answers all day, but those times tables...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never remember having to learn the 12x tables. 11s are easy but the 12s force me to do the long math in my head, except 12x5.

    Way to go, Jack!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I drive the morning carpool to school and we've started a "warm up your brain" game. I struggle to ask them questions relevant to where the various kids are in school (k,1,2, and 6th grades) and they eagerly call out the answers. Today the 6th grader called me on wrong answers twice...and you know what...he was right. Urgh.... there is a reason I haven't been to school for the last 10 years I suppose....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wait until H.S. My 9th grader came to me asking for some help with the following: Perform the indicated operation and state the domain for f(f(x); f(x)= 2x^1/5. (The ^ means to the power of.) Okay, I always liked algebra, but I had to read his lesson and I still struggled. Then I realized it's been over 30 years since I've done this kind of math problem! I'm old. Anyway, I'm not looking forward to Calculus & forget about Trigonometry! My brain hurts just thinking about it.:)

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave comments that are appropriate and friendly.